Expiration Date 08/2018 - Kept in a/c showroom through life. Price is discounted accordingly. Only 13 left.
Quickly & accurately measures the level of nitrite in pond water, reading levels from 0 ppm to 5 ppm. Makes 180 tests. Determines the level of nitrite, a toxic chemical produced when nitrifying bacteria break down ammonia in pond water. High nitrite levels may cause pond fish to suffocate & die.
Nitrite is producted in the aquarium or pond by fish waste and uneaten fish food. Low levels of nitrite inhibit respiration and suppress the immune system; high levels cause suffocation and fish death.
This kit contains: liquid dropper botle with child-resistant safety cap, easy to read instructions with information on how to test and how to correct unsafe water conditions, color chart and glass test tube with snap-tight cap.
- Fast - Easy - Accurate
- Up to 180 Tests
- Freshwater or Saltwater
- 0 ppm to 5 ppm (mg/L)
- Test for Nitrite NO2
- Type of test: Liquid
- Monitor Nitrite to prevent fish loss
Q: How often should I test for nitrite?
A: Regular testing is necessary to make sure the ammonia level is safe. Pond water should be tested for nitrite every other day when the pond is first set up, and once a week after the biological filter has been established (in about 4 to 6 weeks). Ammonia levels will first rise then nitrite will begin to rise as the biological develops. The nitrite level should always be zero once the biological filter is established.
Q: Initially my pond had no nitrite. After a few weeks the nitrite level began to rise. Why?/span>
A: The fish began releasing ammonia into the water as soon as they were added to the pond. As you began feeding the fish they produced more ammonia. Until the biological filter begins to develop no nitrite will be detected. Once the bacteria begin converting ammonia to nitrite it will be detectable on the test kit.
Q: My fish are healthy and the nitrite test always shows zero. Why should I keep testing?/span>
A: When a dental examination shows healthy teeth and no cavities it indicates good hygiene. It is much the same with ammonia in the pond. The nitrite test is a diagnostic tool that indicates proper care is being given to the fish. If the test kit always shows zero nitrite it means you are properly caring for your fish.
Q: My water garden has been set up for over five years and never had a nitrite problem. Now the nitrite test kit indicates an ammonia problem. Why?
A: There are several possible reasons for a nitrite surge in an established pond. br>
Koi and goldfish grow every year. Each year they consume more food and release more ammonia than the year before. It may be that the number and size of the fish is too great for the pond's ecosystem.
Check the pH. If the pH drops to around 6.0 the nitrifying bacteria will be inhibited. This will result in an increase in ammonia and/or nitrite.
Over-feeding a properly stocked pond will certainly cause a nitrite problem.
MMake sure the filtration system is clean and running properly. A dirty filter can become anaerobic and release ammonia and nitrite into the pond.
Technical Reference Guide:
Purpose And Benefits:
Koi and goldfish excrete ammonia from their gills. Urine and solid fish waste breakdown into ammonia. Decaying plants and algae also release ammonia into the pond. Uneaten fish food will also decompose and release ammonia into the pond. Ammonia is converted to nitrite by nitrifying bacteria in (biological filtration). Nitrite is very toxic to fish. Nitrite is absorbed by the fish Once in the bloodstream nitrite binds to hemoglobin and prevents the blood from carrying oxygen. This prevents normal gas exchange across the gills. Fish will become weak and susceptible to a variety of diseases. Eventually fish will die from oxygen starvation.
It is impossible to see or smell nitrite in pond water. The only way to know if ammonia is present in the pond is with a nitrite test kit. Use the Pond Care Liquid Nitrite Test Kit to accurately measure the nitrite level in ponds and water gardens.
Directions For Use:
Read thoroughly before testing. Do not allow test solutions to get into the pond.
To remove childproof safety cap: With one hand, push red tab left with thumb while unscrewing cap with free hand.
1. Fill a clean test tube with 5 ml of water to be tested (to the line on the tube).
2. Add 5 drops of Nitrite Test Solution, holding dropper bottle upside down in a completely vertical position to assure uniformity of drops added to the water sample.
3. Cap the test tube and shake the tube for 5 seconds. Do not hold finger over the open end of the tube, as this may affect test results.
4. Wait five minutes for the color to develop.
5. Read the test results by matching the color of the solution against those on the Nitrite Test Color Chart. The tube should be viewed against the white area beside the color chart. Color comparisons are best made in a well-lit area. The closest match indicates the ppm (mg/L) of nitrite in the water sample. Rinse the test tube with clean water after each use.
CAUTION: Causes burns. Harmful if swallowed.
Contains hydrochloric acid. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. If on skin, flush with water for 15 minutes. If in eyes, hold lids open and flush with water for 15 minutes. Remove contact lens, if present, after the first 5 minutes, then continue rinsing. If swallowed, do not induce vomiting. Call a physician immediately. FIRST AID: Give large amounts of water or milk of magnesia. Wash thoroughly after handling. Keep out of the reach of children.
The Pond Care® Liquid Nitrite Test Kit can be used to test nitrite in ponds and water gardens.